About Me

My photo
here I am in a little cottage that evokes the energies of my ancestral lands - a cottage on the moors of Cornwall, or on the cliff tops of Ireland or Scotland. It has a hearth. I am a hedge witch {of sorts}. I wear upcycled clothes, patchouli oil and Redback boots. I am a gypsy; an eccentric and a mystic [I often live with a foot in two worlds]. I serve my guests, tea from an old silver teapot. I love Vervain, yarrow, chamomile & mint. Star watcher and Moon gazer. story cloth weaver. keeper of family dreams and wishes. good friend and creator of life. herbal tea drinker and potion maker.

Friday, October 12, 2018

the lead up to Bealtaine

as Beltaine looms, once again I find myself struggling with the whole concept of the wheel of the year. Beltaine is my least favourite 'sabbat'.

at this time of year, it is also coming up to All Saints and All Souls day on the church calendar and at this time of year, I am drawn, once again, to the church. Every year at this time. I don't know why. Maybe too many past lives spent in Abbeys or convents. But there is a drawing, a pulling of my soul and I am following. And I know that when I go, I will be disappointed because what I am craving, really doesn't exist anymore. I crave the Olde religion. The true religion. But in this time, it does not exist. That is why I must create it for myself.

"Like billowing clouds, Like the incessant gurgle of the brook, the longing of the spirit can never be stilled.” Hildegard  von Bingen 

It is so difficult to combine both my earth spirituality and my catholic faith but I do try. I understand now, that I must follow my own interpretation, taking what I love from both and combining them into something that suits ME. Whether it is right or wrong, it is the only way that I can be spiritually fed, nourished and satisfied.

So, for us below the Equator, beginning October 31, halfway between Spring Equinox and Midsummer, on the wheel of the year here, it is considered to be Beltaine [or Beltane or whatever].

There is nothing set in stone of how things were done, so what I am doing is reading, and even then, it is only hearsay, So many have tried to transpose the northern wheel onto our southern but it is so convoluted and confusing,  so I take what resonates and fits and take it from there.

Beltaine ::
homes were apparently decorated with May flowers, which are flowers of the common hawthorn, found in hedgerows. We can't buy them here because they are considered noxious weeds. Most ridiculous!! How can any plant that was created by God (or whoever created it), be noxious?!

The making of May bushes were another thing. As was visiting wells and feasting.


We don't have Holy Wells as such, we have fonts in churches full of Holy Water but I cannot see any priest or reverend allowing me to tie clooties around that! However, I know just the place. A small natural well, hidden amongst ferns, on a walk that I take often. I can visit there and leave offerings and ask for blessings. Plus I have my own holy well here at Afallon, a beautiful, big, blue pot, full of water which I dedicated to Brighid a few years ago. And between you and me, I have an idea to ask Joe to create a well somewhere in the garden. fashioned on one that I saw in England.

oh and feasting I can definitely do. I would love to do this with friends but this year, we are in the middle of renovations and it would not be possible. So just a simple wholesome meal shared with Joe will suffice. I will make it lamb which links me back to the past, ancestors.

and making a May bush - a thorn bush was decorated with flowers, ribbons and bright shells. I think this would be a lovely thing to bring into my own celebrations. I shall find a branch, maybe the flowering quince across the laneway, its very thorny and I shall get some colourful ribbons to tie to the branches, along with shells and flowers. Apparently, it is said, that the intention was to bring to your home, blessings of the tree spirit.  And I shall tie ribbons in the trees and around my garden.

At Beltaine, in times past, apparently, rituals were performed to protect cattle, crops and people.  I can do this too. For my chookpen, and my garden and for Joe and I. And as it was a Celtic custom to light a Bealtaine fire, I want to do something like that but this year, I am not quite prepared for a bonfire so I shall burn frankincense resin and waft it around my garden and home. Next year, I shall have a Bealtaine fire, I hope. Because the Beltaine fire was said to have protective powers.

I will offer Bannock (oatmeal cakes) to the spirits for protection of my chickens, and I will offer some to the animals that might try to harm them :: one for fox and one for hawk.

Doors, windows and byres were decorated with yellow may flowers. Sometimes the flowers were made into crosses or garlands and tied to the door. I like this idea. I will try to fashion a celtic cross.

From what I am reading, churches in Scotland and Ireland still celebrate these wheel of the year dates, they may be Christianised but at least they are still honoured. Here in Australia, the churches are too Calvinistic or Wesleyan and too uptight to allow things like this. More is the pity.

so my version of Beltaine is sorted for this year ... now we come to All Saints and All Souls. This time is often referred to as AllHallowtide, but it does not fit here really. It is not Hallows/Samhain here (no matter how many Halloween things you can buy in shops).

Besides going to mass for these days, I have decided to create my own Litany of Saints.... going something like this ::


Lord have Mercy, Christa have Mercy, Lord have Mercy

St. Michael : pray for us
All  Holy Angels : pray for us
Oh Holy Mother Cypress : pray for us
Spirit of the Apple and Cherry: pray for us
St. Therese of the Little Flower : Pray for us
Spirits of the Holy Thorn : pray for us
St. Joseph : pray for us
Our Lady of the Shining, Tumbling Water : pray for us
St. Hildegarde : pray for us
Holy Mother of the Divine within : pray for us
All holy ancestors : pray for us
Our Lady of Sunshine and butterflies : pray for us
Spirits of the Holy and Healing herbs : pray for us
Mary Magdalene : pray for us
St. Dorothy and St. Lucy : pray for us
Holy Mother of the Laneway and Hedge Hermitages : pray for us
all the holy insects, bees and hoverflies : pray for us
Spirit of all Life : pray for us
Spirit of our guiding star : pray for us
Blessed Mother, Stella Maris : pray for us
Mother Moon : pray for us
all celestial beings : pray for us

and then, I shall insert names of friends who ask.

'As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end'



See what I mean about confusion, though? But with a little tweaking over time, I hope to come to a wheel that suits me. It might be wobbly and purists on both sides might develop a nervous tic, but so it is.

So that is that for this year, Bealtaine sorted. I shall plant some primroses and marigolds and a hawthorn tree, one that is not considered a noxious weed and I shall celebrate to my souls content!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.